Filed under Opinion

Gotta Catch ‘Em All!

Ever since the company, Niantic Labs, released the mobile game Pokemon GO in July 2016, about 400 thousand Atlantans have been out on the streets, catching Rattatas and Spearows. Some game critics at International Gaming Network (IGN) even call it ‘a childhood dream come true,’ as you can finally catch Pokemon like Ash Ketchum. In order for this to make sense, let’s go back to the year 1994.

In the year 1994, Nintendo founder Shigeru Miyamoto decided to create a television show called Pokemon (Japanese for ‘pocket monsters’) in which a young boy named Ash Ketchum starts a journey to catch all Pokemon and become a ‘Pokemon trainer.’ As the years passed, the show gained more and more popularity. Two years later, in 1996, the very first Pokemon video game was released, ‘Pokemon Red and Green.’ Then, in 1999, Pokemon collectable cards were released.

According to a survey sent out to all middle school students at SMES, some people here never play Pokemon GO, because they think it’s ‘trash’ and ‘a terrible game.’ Out of the 64 responses, 50.7% of students said that the game isn’t addicting at all, although 26.9% said it was. If you’ve ever been to prominent Atlanta restaurants such as Taco Mac or Willy’s, you’ve probably seen an extensive number of teenagers and/or adults on the streets and sidewalks playing the game daily.  Fifty-two percent of students said that this sight annoyed them. When asked to rate Pokemon GO, five being amazing and one being terrible, most students put the rating as ‘one.’

Niantic Labs, Inc. has earned a fortune from the release of Pokemon GO. Pokemon GO topped the App Store’s free apps chart and still remains there. However, the students here at St. Martin’s participate in so many extra-curricular activities, like sports and drama, that many of them don’t seem to have the time or the desire to search for pocket monsters.  The game may seem useless to many of the middle school students here at SMES, but, to the rest of the world, it’s one of the greatest apps of the century because “you gotta catch ‘em all!”

• Gotta Catch ‘Em All!

Sports

The Winning Warriors

• Gotta Catch ‘Em All!

News

SMES-idential Debate

• Gotta Catch ‘Em All!

Artwork

Pumpkins

• Gotta Catch ‘Em All!

Student Life

High Spirits and High Ropes

• Staff Profiles

Claire P.

• Staff Profiles

Orlando G.

• Staff Profiles

Jasmine G.

• Staff Profiles

Audrey H.

• Staff Profiles

Elisa H.

• Staff Profiles

William T.

Gotta Catch ‘Em All!