Filed under News

SMES-idential Debate

It’s election season, and this year St. Martin’s has decided to have an election of their own! There are four students representing the candidates running to be president of the United States. For the Democratic party, Arden A. will represent Hillary Clinton, for the Libertarian party, Will T. will represent Gary Johnson, for the Republican party Will M. will represent Donald Trump, and, lastly, for the Green party, Ian C. will represent Jill Stein.

To be selected, each student had to write an essay on the candidate they choose to represent. Each one of them studied who they wanted to be and immersed themselves in the lives of their candidates. Through a panel of judges, these four students were selected. They will prepare a speech and practice for the big day. This year, the candidates are videotaping their debate in the technology lab, and their fellow classmates will watch them during their Social Studies class. While the students wait for the big day, the candidates are learning the best ways to earn the most votes and be the greatest “presidents” they can be. Will T. said to prepare he is “watching debates and watching how they answer questions.” Ian C. is reading Jill Stein’s website to learn “the ideas and perspective that Jill has.” Will M.’s dynamic “is to side with the people on many topics, but also create many different ideas.” He has, also, done many hours of research, both from the candidate’s website and third party sources. He has “talked to many real people who are actually going to vote in this year’s election, from all of sides of opinion.”  

While the excitement rages on, the candidates have worries of their own. Either going up against other opponents or public speaking, each candidate has something they are nervous about, but, in the end,  they all will perform professionally and represent their candidate well! And the student body is excitingly waiting to see which candidate has the opportunity to be the next St. Martin’s President!

• SMES-idential Debate

Sports

The Winning Warriors

• SMES-idential Debate

Opinion

Gotta Catch ‘Em All!

• SMES-idential Debate

Artwork

Pumpkins

• SMES-idential Debate

Student Life

High Spirits and High Ropes

• Staff Profiles

Claire P.

• Staff Profiles

Orlando G.

• Staff Profiles

Jasmine G.

• Staff Profiles

Audrey H.

• Staff Profiles

Elisa H.

• Staff Profiles

William T.

SMES-idential Debate